The End of an Era

This is it, folks. Our last day in our first house. It's crazy to think. This is where Maddie learned to talk. It's where Blakey learned to walk! Nathan was born right here in the living room! And Isaac, of course, will have no memory of it, but we will have memories of him in it!



Yes, there have been (and ARE) things about this place that drive me absolutely nuts. The bathrooms are too small. The kitchen is too cramped. It's a big house, but a lot of the space is wasted, so it feels like a little house.

At the same time, I am so grateful for it. We were so very poor when we bought it--we could hardly believe that people in our income bracket at the time could even own a house! Most of them don't! We were very lucky.

But, we've added two more little people to our family since we bought this house. Plus, we aren't rich, but we certainly aren't so very poor anymore. And now, the house has almost DOUBLED in value from when we built it three years ago. So it's time to take our money and run!

Maddie and Blake had their last day of preschool yesterday and Maddie is done with ballet. It's sad for them. They had such good friends and were excelling socially and academically (can you excel academically in preschool? If you can, they were...) and their teachers adored them so much. I've reassured them that they will make new friends and have new teachers. But the truth is, we will be in limbo now for another couple of months before we actually move into our house and I hope they won't get too lonely or go completely stir crazy!

Anyway, it's time for me to finish packing up all our belongings. This is such a huge process and I'm only getting to the tip of the iceburg for now. Then the real hard work begins--the cleaning and painting and carpet-replacing and the junk-in-the-basement-organizing and all those dreaded projects.

It's so funny, though. I suddenly feel so torn. I've been so eager to get out of here! I can't WAIT to be free of it and get our brand new great big house. But so many of my happiest moments occurred in this house. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

4 comments:

Kateastrophe said...

Goodbye house in BFE! You will be missed, at least until we make the drive from Provo to Springville, then we will say "holy crap you used to live far away, Anne!!"

Good luck with the projects! Loves and kisses!

Jewels said...

I had no idea how beautiful your house was! Goodness, what a looker. I understand you being torn, this will be a hard move. But you know, my family moved out of a house that we had all grown up in, we lived there for 18+ years and lots of memories were had. It was bittersweet, but I think your fondest memories are yet to come! Your new, gorgeous home will be where your kids grow up, have Holiday memories - I am just so excited for your family!! Hang in there, I love you!

Anne said...

Yeah, Kate. "BFE," says the girl living in FREAKING PHOENIX, despite ALL of my attempts to drag you back here! Yep. I'm a whole half hour away...

Kateastrophe said...

Touche!