Hospital, Day Five

Last Friday, when all of this began, I asked the doctor how long Isaac would likely have to stay in the hospital. He replied that it would be at least 24 hours, and often babies stay for three days.

Welcome to Day Five.

It's not really that Isaac is all that sick, anymore. He looks so much better and he's acting like his old self. He's so sweet and smiley and SUCH a flirt with the nurses, who are all in love with him.

The lingering problem is that he still can't eat without the hospital's help and, of course, they won't release him until he can.

Brian stayed the night with him on Sunday and when I got there on Monday morning I found that Isaac had made a big ol' mess of his clothes and they'd had to put something clean on him. HOW STINKING CUTE IS THIS???? Who knew that they made hospital gowns in, shall we say, petite sizes?

Well, as cute as it is, I'll be happy if I never have to see him in a hospital gown again!

Anyway, I spent the night with Isaac last night and, as I said, he was still struggling to eat without their help. Brian and I switched places this morning, and I guess the doctor came in and told Brian that there's a very good possibility that Isaac will be released from the hospital this afternoon. Don't get me wrong--that is excellent news! But since he seems to struggle the most at night, it concerns me slightly that they would release him during the afternoon when he's at his best... I would just hate it if he came home and then tonight he tried to eat and couldn't. I wouldn't be able to help him without their nifty (evil-wicked-wicked, as Jeff would say) machine. So then what? Back to the hospital?

Well, I'm fretting over nothing. My only choice in this matter is to trust the doctor--who has been VERY worthy of our trust so far. And believe me, when Isaac is finally released, there will be MUCH rejoicing!

2 comments:

HaLaine said...

How awful to see your kids in the hospital! I gotta tell you, Frank and I gasped OUT LOUD at the tiny torture device used for x-raying babies. Who knew??

Kateastrophe said...

OK that hospital gown is the cutest thing i've ever seen. However, I agree, it's not like it's cute enough to leave him there. He is a beautiful baby and I hope he gets eating on his own soon. Poor widdwe guy!! I called you last night to chat . . . feel free to call me if you're at the hospital and need someone to talk to!!