Number Four

I'm pretty sure you don't know this...

I proof-read documents and make fancy shmancy newsletters for my kids' preschool in exchange for free tuition. This is an excellent and EXPENSIVE preschool and I feel really blessed that the owner took me up on my offer. And believe me, she NEEDED a proof-reader!

I was SUPPOSED to teach a Spanish class there, instead of being the newsletter girl, but there was no interest--we couldn't get enough people to sign up. At first I was flabbergasted that people weren't interested in having their children learn Spanish. Now I understand it a little bit. See, the Blind Republican Sheep of Utah don't like Mexicans--especially the impoverished or illegal ones, and learning Spanish would be a way of embracing something their political party teaches them to be hostile towards. And in Utah, most people's religion teaches them to LOVE, FORGIVE, BE MERCIFUL, IMPART OF OUR SUBSTANCE, CLOTHE THE NAKED, FEED THE HUNGRY. But those lessons are only for Sunday School. In the real world, we're allowed to be disdainful, prideful, snooty, and disgusted. Politics almost ALWAYS trumps religion, even in a place where people talk like their religion is their whole life.

And once again, I digress into politics and generalizations... And, alas, Kate knows that I'm prone to that, so it can't count as Number Five.

1 comment:

HaLaine said...

MAN! Note to self: Anne is the QUEEN of deals! Holy johnnies! Why didn't I think of proposing a free tuition solution to my KIDS' SCHOOLING!!! You are amazing...like I said before, I need lessons.